Top 10 swimming benefits
We all know swimming is good for our health, but how good? We took the liberty of sharing with you the top 10 benefits of swimming, knowing that there are many, many more!
- Good exercise: Swimming helps you exercise most of your body parts without straining your joints.
- Body strength: Swimming not only tones your muscles, it also helps strengthen your bones, especially at an advanced age.
- Endurance: Swimming competitions are the best way to test and improve your endurance. The longer you swim, the more your body tolerates hard workouts.
- Fitness: Swimming burns about 450 to 950 calories per hour; it all depends on your pace.
- Osteoarthritis: If your joints hurt and your muscles are stiff, swimming is perfect to lower the pain; in the pool your body weight decreases, and reduces the pressure over your muscles and joints.
- Improves asthma symptoms: Swimming helps asthma patients in avoiding asthma attacks; it helps in their breathing methods and can improve their condition in general.
- Cool-down: Swimming after an intense out-of-the-pool workout, helps your muscles in their recovery as it restores your body’s blood movement.
- Relax: Swimming releases endorphins and has the same effects as yoga on the human body, thus helping in relieving stress.
- Self-improvement: Swimming teaches you discipline and sportsmanship. It gives you a healthy competitive edge, by pushing you to overcome your peers and/or yourself.
- Cool off: Swimming is the best way to cool off in the sizzling hot summer; no matter how high the temperature is, water never fails to freshen you up!
More: Swimming Pet Peeves